All poets living or working in the 44839 zip code can submit poems to this annual poetry contest. Submissions for our fourth annual poetry contest were accepted from October 1 to November 30, 2020. Cash prizes are awarded for first place, second place, and third place winners and poets will have a chance to be included in the fourth volume of an annual poetry anthology. Winners of the 2020 contest will be announced in April 2021 during National Poetry Month. Full rules for submission and information about the judging process are detailed below.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
First Prize $75
Second Prize $50
Third Prize $25
2019 Virtual Poetry Event
Due to precautions necessary to slow the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19, the annual poetry event that normally took place during the month of April, 2020 was canceled. Instead, both patrons and poets can hear poems read aloud at the Library's Virtual Poetry Event.
The third annual 44839 Huron Poetry Contest concluded in April, 2020. A team a judges independently scored each poem and arrived at consensus based on scoring. The winners were:
1st Place - Jill Kinser for "Haiku for You"
2nd Place - Jennie Mae Fish for "The Immigrants"
3rd Place - Donna Gassett for "Rose in the Cradle"
The poems submitted in the 2019 contest are collected in the book 44839: Poetry from a Zip Code Vol. III published by Drinian Press. CLICK HERE to find a copy of 44839: Poetry from a Zip Code Vol. III.
Any poet who lives or works in the 44839 zip code may enter and be included in a published anthology. If your address is not in the 44839 zip code, add a note explaining your eligibility. Former Huron Poets Laureate and those employed by Drinian Press LLC are encouraged to submit entries which could be included in the published anthology, but they are not eligible for a cash prize.
Please read the following rules and regulations to submit a poem to the contest:
- Entries must be submitted between October 1 and November 30, 2020.
- Only one submission per poet will be accepted. An entry may consist of up to four poems written in any style. The total length of the submission, however, cannot exceed four pages.
- Contact information must be included: Name, address, phone, and email (if available). Since a goal of the contest is to create a community of poets, entrants cannot choose to be anonymous.
- Entries may be submitted via email attachment to: DrinianPress@frontier.com OR via regular mail: Drinian Press LLC, PO Box 63, Huron, Ohio 44839.
- Previously published poems are welcome, but entrants must indicate prior publication information in their submission.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Winners will be announced at a Huron Public Library poetry event during April, 2021.
- Submission to the contest grants rights for a one-time publication in any anthology created to document this event. All contributing poets will receive a free copy of this book.
- Contestants under 18 years of age are only able to participate if there is an acknowledgment from a parent or guardian.
About the Judging Process
All submissions are copied without any identifying information so that the panel of judges sees only an anonymous poem. Each judge evaluates and scores entries independently. Scores are compiled and the group arrives at consensus. By the end of the process, judges know which poems are among the prize winners, but do not know the identities of the poets until announced at the Library event during National Poetry Month.
333 Williams St.
Huron, Ohio 44839